Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Crazy-Creepy Stuff You Find In The Day-After-Christmas Sales...

While I've been behind on my blogging, and I know it is no longer the actual day after Christmas, I still wanted to share the oh-so-fun things I spied while out shopping with Jarrod this past weekend.

First and foremost, I should just say that I love having a camera phone, finally. It enables me to document all this random crap that I see when I'm out in stores or at garage sales. Speaking of which, I'm totally going to incorporate some pics from the giant B.A. garage sale from this Fall that I still haven't gotten off my phone. I should periodically do "Weird Crap I Saw While Out Shopping Today" blogs. I need to share my bewilderment with somebody, afterall.

So, to Jarrod's credit, the first item in question was actually spotted by him, not me, but I can at least say that I shared in his horror. While perusing clearance pj's in a mall department store, I heard Jarrod let out a groan of disgust, as he asked me to come view his finding: a pair of super-short knit pj shorts, complete with sherpa-trimmed legs and butt-cheek hearts. Why? Who makes this crap, and furthermore, who buys it? The only person I could even picture wearing these would be Mariah Carey in a tacky music video. I'm not sure which she would get more use out of-- the tasteless shorts, or this giant box of scrunchees we saw at a garage sale. Again, I ask, "Why?"


Who wants a fur-trimmed butt? Lotsa scrunchees.

The second item in question also popped up at a department store. Aren't those places supposed to be a bit classier than the rest of the mall? Apparently not. I was sifting through some clearance Christmas decor, when I ran across Creepy Christmas Cat. Well, that's not it's "official" name, but if I had my way, it would be-- just like I have officially renamed this odd garage sale Christmas painting Child-Molester Santa. Ah, the creepy parallels in holiday decor (of all things). Oddly enough, I was a bit drawn to the cat (maybe it's wicked eyes were secretly trying to hypnotize me), and had it not been so expensive (even on clearance), I probably would've brought it home. Afterall, nothing says, "Merry Christmas" like a demonic-looking cat with reindeer antlers, that looks like it wants to claw your eyes out!


Cats apparently hate Christmas.


Sorry, this one had to be larger so you could see the detail (creepy Santa!!!!)

On to Target! I love Target, I'm not going to lie, and their Christmas stuff is the bomb, so of course we had to go there. We scored some great deals, but while I was on the hunt for a new black skirt (grrrrr), we stumbled upon some things that simply could not go undocumented on our blog journey: Gold and silver lame leggings! Those of you who are closest to me know how much I loathe lame, and why I loathe lame, so why did Target have to go and tarnish their otherwise cool image by housing such horrid leggings? ICK! I love funky and unusual fashion, but these were just cheesy and reminded me of something from a Halloween costume. They would've gone perfect with the lovely, leprechaun-green, sequined vest we saw in someone's garage this Fall. I will admit, however, that I couldn't refrain from purchasing a pair of snow-leopard print ones (only slightly shiny). Jarrod tried to talk me out of them, and seemed relieved when I couldn't initially find my size, but a little while later there was a small miracle from God, and I found some anyway. Wahoo! At least I didn't require any persuasion to not take up the offer of a free, used garage sale bra. So, what have we learned? Leopard-print: good. Gold and silver lame: very, very bad. (Oh yeah, and don't take free bras from strangers.)



Wow... Double-wow...
I feel a show-tune coming on... Free bras, anyone?
On a whim, we decided to hit a bookstore, and joked on the way in that we might find the David Hasselhoff autobiography in the stacks of bargain books. After we finally found the bargain books, we both burst out laughing when, sure enough, there it was-- "Don't Hassel The Hoff". Try to control your laughter, because we couldn't. Of course it had to be featured in this blog photo journey, without question. Jarrod tried to persuade me to buy it, just as he tried to get me to buy Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album at the garage sale, but I just couldn't justify paying the whopping $4.97 to do so. I could go eat out for that much, and I would probably be left much more satisfied.

Would you pay $4.97? When MJ was cool...

The real question, at the end of our journey, is, "Why does Jarrod take the same amount of pleasure in eating a turkey leg as he does holding up the David Hasselhoff autobiography?"

Mmmm... turkey! Jarrod's hero... Ha-ha!


0 comments: