Monday, May 25, 2009

I Get It.

So, tonight I made a point to sit down and watch the season premiere of "Jon & Kate Plus Eight". I've never been a hardcore follower of the show-- it's always been the sort of thing where, if I was sitting in bed at night flipping channels, and it was on, I would stop on that channel to watch it. Call me a dork, but it's fascinating to watch, and I actually, in some ways, identify with some of their chaos.

So there I was, watching tonight's show, knowing good and well (according to all the hooplah and commericals) that they were going to discuss all of the issues that are being splashed all over the tabloids. However, those of you who know me pretty well, know that I wasn't tuned-in to gawk (or to roll my eyes at Kate's hair). I was watching because I "get it", and sometimes it helps to know you're not the only one.

Before Kate every discussed her personal life during her interview, and they were just showing her preparing for the kids' birthday party, I recognized the look on her face, her body language, all of it, and I found it to be completely heart-breaking. Those viewers who just tuned-in to gawk probably wouldn't even notice, but I saw it all as plain as day-- the "I'm trying" look, and it sucks.

Jon and Kate's joint interview was hauntingly familiar, as was Kate's solo confessional. Is this sort of thing really that common? It seems to be happening everywhere I look, and I guess I feel foolish for being so blind to it before. It isn't that you want more people to walk in your incredibly overwhelmed shoes, because you don't, but when you realize that there are swarms of people out there, going through the exact same thing, I guess it at least helps you feel more "normal", if that makes any sense at all. Plus, it's just good to know that there are other people out there who "get it".

0 comments: