Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter


I always knew that Quincy Boo-Bear was going to be the one we had to watch out for. She's just so crazy, and knows no fear. She thinks it's hilarious... I do not.


So, I was joking the other day about how Quincy would totally make it to the ER before the summer was out, and sure enough, one day into summer, off she went. In her defense, it wasn't anything she did, which wasn't how I would've pictured it, with as freakin' fearless as she is and all. I swear she'd touch an electric fence forty times before she realized that it hurt. She's nuts, and she laughs in the face of pain (ha-ha-ha!) Maybe she really is a ninja, like Jarrod says, and that Chuck Norris is slowly grooming her to take over the world. Chuck Norris knows no pain, and neither does Quincy Boo-Bear.


Anyway, so this is how it all went down. We had torrential rains on Monday night/Tuesday morning, which meant that our driveway would remain flooded until I kicked the pump on for it to drain. Wahoo. So yesterday afternoon, I went out front to switch the pump on, and specifically told the boys to stay in the house. I believe my exact words were, "Do not open that door because I don't want Quincy getting out here." Of course they're four years-old and have selective hearing, so that didn't work out quite as I had hoped.


Sure enough, within seconds of me being outside, the boys were on the porch, getting into things they shouldn't, while I waited to make sure the water was draining. In the meantime, Quincy was inside, standing at the storm door, screaming her fool head off and banging on it, wanting to come outside. Great, boys, this is exactly why I told you to stay inside. Ah, you gotta love how they listen! So, after a couple of minutes, the pump was draining good, so I started to herd the boys back inside, while Quincy was still standing there howling. As I went to open the storm door, I realized that her finger was pinched in the hinge-side of the door, and apparently had been since the boys came outside! I think I probably turned green as I opened the door, and she pulled her newly-mangled finger out.


Had she not been in horrible pain (and who wouldn't be after that?), I would've taken a picture of her finger to show how gnarled-up it was. It looked like finger road-kill, complete with tire tracks. Her pinky was completely flat, and that is no exaggeration. It doesn't help matters that Quincy's pinkies have a natural bend in towards her ring finger, which only made her finger look more deformed. It felt like rubber as I slowly bent it back and forth, but seeing as how it was so little, it was hard to feel if it was broken or not.


After screaming for all of five minutes, Quincy got quiet and was trying to play with the faucet on the sink as I examined her finger. It just looked like a mangled piece of hamburger as I was on the phone with the doctor's office, who told me to take her to the ER to have it x-rayed. So, I called my parents, so that someone could come watch the boys, and tried to get ahold of Eric, which is always easier said than done. In the meantime, Quincy was walking around with a floppy finger, trying to eat out of her snack cup, which just amazed me, but whatever.


So, my dad arrived, and then Eric arrived too, and he ended up taking her to get her x-ray. By that time, a lot of the "flatness" had gone away, but her finger was about eight shades of purple and red. According to the doctor, baby bones are really flexible, and there is a lot of room between their finger bones, which allow them to get squished, twisted, you name it, and still come out okay. The doctor was also pretty impressed that Quincy didn't fuss when he was bending her finger every which way. Eric explained to him that it is more of a curse than a blessing, since she laughs when she she gets a swat on her hand, and at that point, we had the doctor's sympathy.


This morning, her finger was just red and puffy, with bruises here and there, but she doesn't seem to mind too much. Crazy kid. Hey, if this is all I have to deal with all summer, I'll be thrilled.


1 comments:

Heather said...

Awww, poor Quincy! I sure hope it's the last ER trip this summer!