Monday, June 8, 2009

Had I Been A Betting Woman...


Okay, so seeing as I am going to have a little more time on my hands for the next couple of months, I am going to make it a goal to do the daily blogging (Heather, what can I say-- you are inspirational in that department-- along with your commitment to diligent scrapbooking).

So, last Sunday, Eric took the kiddos to the lake house (yep, I'm blogging about last weekend). Being the maniacs that they are, the kids wanted to swim, even though the water was still really cold (dorks). Unfortunately, what normally would've been a pleasant afternoon quickly turned bad when Josh slipped and fell on the steps going back up to the cabin. The house is built into the side of a hill, and the steps and ramps leading from the shore back up to the house can be pretty treacherous, even for an able adult.

Like any normal person, Josh stuck his arm out to catch himself. This simple act caused him to break that arm in two places. Lovely. Had I been a betting woman, I would've thought for sure that Quincy would've been the first of my kids to obtain a broken bone (being my little Daredevil Princess, and all). Gabe would've been second on my list-- what with all of his crazy fantasy behavior. Josh would've been my absolute last pick. Eric didn't know it was broken immediately, but Josh was clearly in pain, so Eric drove the kids back to town so that Josh could go to Urgent Care for some x-rays.
Well, x-rays revealed a break just above and below his elbow-- poor guy! With it being a Sunday, he couldn't get a cast for it, but they made a fiberglass splint for it, wrapped it in an ace bandage, and called it good until Monday morning. Then, we took Josh into Eric's orthopaedist (it's just plain sad that Eric even has an orthopaedist at 31 years of age). They confirmed the breaks, and put a cast on Josh (red, of course-- although Eric tried to talk him into camo). He screamed bloody-murder, but once the cast was done, he was so excited that his arm was suddenly pain-free.
Here he is, milking the "sad face" for all it's worth.
So, here we are in present-day, and Josh had a follow-up x-ray this morning, to make sure everything is setting right, which it is. That means he has two more weeks in his lovely red cast. I still can't believe that he did this a whopping two days into summer vacation, but it could be worse. We saw a kid at the doctor this morning with a camo cast over his entire leg-- even up over his thigh. Yeah, he looked pleased, let me tell you. At least Josh can get his cast wet, so it doesn't slow down summer activities too much (just no Slip n' Slide).

1 comments:

Heather said...

awww, poor little guy. Looks adora ble in his red cast though!